Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I had my car illegally towed while it was on private

Customer Question

I had my car illegally towed while it was on private property by a financing business that claims they assumed it was their car. The car was returned damaged. Could I sue?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

You can sue whoever damaged the vehicle so long as they were negligent in what they did which caused the damage and, since it shouldn't damage a vehicle to tow it, the negligence should be pretty easy to prove.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Whether they believed they were allowed to tow the car or not doesn't matter since they weren't allowed to damage the vehicle even if it was legitimate for them to tow it.