Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I want to know what documents are required to ship Gold from

Customer Question

I want to know what documents are required to ship Gold from Ghana to Dallas TX? If possible, I would like to have a list of required documents in order to transport Gold on a Plane. Can Gold be hand carried on a Plane once appropriate documents are obtained? Are only original documents produced or will copies of the shipping documents be produced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the documents I am being told are required to ship Gold from Ghana. I am attempting to get the cost or at least the understanding of the cost of each item. I am being told that the cost of these documents are 5% of the London market value of a Kilo of Gold. If you can fill in this table of costs that would be fabulous, if a percentage number of a Kilo is better to use, that will work for me as well.
Document Cost $USD / KG
1, Ownership certificate
2, Certificate of Origin
3, Assay report
4, Bank of Ghana Form A4
5, Custom Declaration
6, Insurance
7, Airway Bill
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question.

I'm very sorry to tell you that you've met yourself a romance scammer. You would think from the number of questions we get exactly like yours that every woman in Ghana is an heiress with millions of dollars worth of gold bars sitting in some storage facility just waiting for you to pay the fees to bring it over to the States. This is all nonsense.

Ghana is a very poor third world country. The average person makes the equivalent of $200/year. Anyone really with those kinds of assets in gold in Ghana would be living very high on the hog, would have all sorts of credit available to her, would have lawyers crawling all over her to assist her on contingency for fee when the estate settled, and she wouldn't have to enlist the aid or the money of a foreign stranger, which is all you are, despite what you may think.

Because the only asset of importance Ghana has is it's gold mines, it is strictly illegal to take gold out of Ghana unless it is done through Ghana's PMMC, a government agency that regulates the Ghanaian gold market. It would have to be shipped by them to a registered buyer elsewhere. She can't carry her kilos onto the plane anywhere except in romance scams.

The scam usually works like this:

Your internet romance who claims to have an inheritance waiting for her in a Ghanainan security/shipping center. She usually will tell you that she can only collect it if she's going to be married to a good man, and, tag, you are "it."

As her "good man," your job is to help her clear her inheritance. She may even claim to have transferred the gold into your name and will send you (phony) documents to that effect. As her so-called fiancé, you get to pay so called barristers and bankers thousands of pounds to clear her funds so that you can collect the inheritance and live happily and wealthily with her ever after. It doesn't exist, however, so it never comes.

Below are the other signs of a Ghana romance fraud:

- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.

- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.

- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at the airport or a problem with Customs for trying to get her goods out . These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others. You can see a very good list of the excuses here.

No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to boarding that plane.

- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.

Once she starts asking for gifts or money, You can bet that she's not who and what you think she is. She's a group of thieves, almost always men, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere overseas, working together to rob too trusting, good hearted men and women such as yourself of all of their money.

If you send her money, she'll just come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.

If you wish to reply and upload copies of any documents or photos of herself that she has sent you, I can take this further. If you are in touch with a so-called barrister and you have his name, I can verify whether he is actually licensed to practice law in Ghana.