Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Brother was appointed trustee to manage the family business

Customer Question

Brother was appointed trustee to manage the family business in California. Irregularities in the trustee's business practices have been noted. Brother has been trustee for about 8 years & has a debilitating condition. No one has any confidence in his abilities. He refuses to hold meetings to go over business practices & the accounting. He directs us to contact his CPA who has sent us copies of general accounting records. We need to be able to dig deep into all relevant business operating records to determine the extent of fraudulent practices.
Please explain the procedural steps we must take to have our concerns addressed & to have him removed as trustee to the California trust.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Removal of a Trustee for cause is governed by the CA Probate Code Sections 15640 - 15645. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=prob&group=15001-16000&file=15640-15645. In your situation Section 15642 is most applicable. If the Trust is not under court supervision, it can and would be so placed by the Petition for Removal of the trustee.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.