Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My ipad was blocked by supposedly a government

Customer Question

my ipad was blocked by supposedly a government agency.They're fining me $500 for looking at illegal information.I set up a paypal a/c and I don't know how to pay them.They say"you can settle the fine with PayPal My Cash Cards.Type your code ($500 PayPal My Cash Card)and press 'ok'I'm not sure who I'm sending this to.There is no address.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

This is a common and well-known scam. The scammer tries to convince the victim that they have violated US laws and then they have to pay a fine, usually by some untraceable source like Western Union, Pay Pal, or Money Pak in order to avoid prosecution.

.

Real law enforcement would just come and arrest you. They don't give you a "heads up" about any violation and give you time to get rid of any evidence. Further, you wouldn't be able to get out of any criminal charges and avoid the legal system by paying a "fine" through Paypal....

.

What happened is that whatever you clicked on installed a spyware or virus on your computer so you need to get a good anti-virus or spyware program and run it on your computer to remove the program. Ad-Aware and Spybot are two good ones that will catch virtually every virus/spyware out there and remove it from your system. T hey are free to download and use...

.

.

thanks