Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need to know the rules using email to present a motion and

Customer Question

I need to know the rules using email to present a motion and vote using email or text . Does the vote have to be unanimous to pass or just a plain majority to pass? The board of the Homeowners' association sometimes uses email to make decisions such as deciding which caterer to hire for the Association's annual meeting.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First we need to know what your bylaws state about motions and voting by electronic means, because that would override the laws, which do allow votes to be taken by email or other electronic means. Also, your bylaws have to state what is required to pass a motion, if they do not then it is a simple majority.

The laws are all the bare minimum requirements and state the bylaws of the association control, so what do your bylaws state?