John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

As an independent contractor we had a verbal agreement to

Customer Question

As an independent contractor we had a verbal agreement to collect 10% and 12% of the contract price respectively. When it came time to collect my money the company sprung an agreement on me that I had never seen or signed. Which agreement will have precedent, the verbal agreement that we all knew and understood, or the written agreement which no one had seen or signed?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

The verbal agreement is just as binding as any written agreement. But you entered the verbal agreement and did not agree to the written one; the written one would have to be signed to show your agreement. So you are still operating under the verbal agreement. Whether the other party agrees with that and whether they will pay you the correct amount without you having to sue them, I have no idea. But legally the verbal agreement is the binding one.