Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I was named on a petition a letter to a credit union

Customer Question

I was named on a petition for delivering a letter to a credit union for a volunteer fire chief to freeze their bank account because he suspended the treasurer who told him she would empty the account. I did not deliver the letter but I was with the secretary when she handed the letter to the president. Chancery Court Judge reinstated the treasurer and now she is suing us for a civil conspiracy along with puntive damages.
What should I do at this point?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You need to file a answer here setting out version of facts.You may consider a motion to dismiss arguing that you are not a proper party to the suit.The court here can drop you from the suit if it agrees with your motion.These would be your next steps.Either you do this yourself or make use of a local lawyer.

IN THE GENERAL CHANCERY COURT FOR XXX COUNTY, TENNESSEE
________________________________
PLAINTIFF
VS DOCKET NUMBER _______________
________________________________
DEFENDANT
Comes the Defendant, after being duly sworn according to law, and says that he/she denies each and every allegation on which the Plaintiff has sued him/her and that the same is not true, just, nor correct for the following reason(s):
Add that you are not a correct party to the action here.___________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________
DEFENDANT SIGNATURE
Sworn to and subscribed before me, this the
___________ day of _____________, 2012.
___________________________________
(NAME)
Notary Public/Deputy Court Clerk in and for Knox County, Tennessee.
My Commission Expires on __________________________________
I certify that a true and exact copy of the foregoing has been served upon:
CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
At the following address: ________________________________________________________________
By proper mailing/hand delivered same on this the _________ day of _________________, 2012.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

This puts all the matters in dispute and the court may dismiss you as a party.You may want to consider your own lawyer here as well to assist and file such a an answer on your behalf.Your lawyer can seek lawyer fees from the other party that sued since it appears you are not a proper party to the suit.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.