Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In the State of PA: I submitted a Writ of Sumons a few days

Customer Question

In the State of PA:
I submitted a Writ of Sumons a few days before the statute of limitations was in effect. I need a little more time to get a doctor's opinion. The plantiff has sent me praecipe to file a complaint within 20 days. Can I get an extension? I need a little more time.
Or, should I dissolve the current writ and file another one if the Doctor agrees there was negligence?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid you have an issue, because if you do not submit your complaint, the court is not going to give you an extension on the statute of limitations, because you have had time to get a doctor's opinion and that is not legally considered good cause for an extension. So if you do not file your complaint or if you dissolve the writ and miss the statute of limitations, I am afraid your case becomes barred and over and done. So you need to now proceed and get a complaint filed and you can amend the complaint later if it is in need of additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What information is required in an official complaint?

Thank you for your reply.

You need to know the name of the person and you need to allege all of the facts surrounding the claims you are making and what that conduct caused and what you are asking the court for. Here is a sample of a malpractice complaint: http://www.cbmclaw.com/Hepatitis-C-Lawsuits/COMPLAINT-IN-CIVIL-ACTION-WaltersvUPMC.pdf