Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My friend is in jail on a domestic charge, the officer I

Customer Question

My friend is in jail on a domestic charge, the officer I spoke with said the only way she can get out is if a lawyer speaks to a judge and the judge agrees to give her bail. It's currently 1:55am and I'm unable to reach any lawyers directly.
How do I get in touch with someone who can help...I can pay whatever the cost would be.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If your friend is in jail she must be brought before the judge as quickly as is possible given the holiday weekend. You can call her facility and find out when and where her arraignment will be. I cannot speak for every jurisdiction in the country, but as a general rule jail cases are automatically assigned a public defender for purposes of their arraignment, so that their rights are protected and so that an argument can be made for the defendant's release. Alternatively, if your friend will be taken to court for her arraignment as opposed to being arraigned by video, you can attend court on her arraignment day and retain one of the lawyers already there in the courthouse for someone else's case.

Other than that, unfortunately, apart from doing a Google search for criminal lawyers in your town with 24/7 emergency contact numbers, there's no magic formula to raising up a lawyer on a holiday weekend.