Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Escrow made a mistake is the disbursement of funds, withheld

Customer Question

escrow made a mistake is the disbursement of funds, withheld from the sale of a home in Arizona a few years ago. What are my options? The person who rec'd my share fo the funds, said he would pay me, but now refuses. Escrow says it's not their problem.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The Escrow company is liable if they made a mistake in paying the wrong person. However, the person who received the money is also liable to pay you. What you need to do is sue BOTH the escrow company and the person who received the money, for breach of contract and reimbursement of your money. You sue the escrow company, because they were negligent and breached their contract with you by paying the improper party. You sue the person who received the money because they owe you the money in reimbursement or else they will be unjustly enriched. So this way you are pursuing both liable parties and you can seek costs and fees from the escrow company as part of your damages since their negligence caused this issue.