Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What are Missouri's laws on hostile easeways

Customer Question

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What you are asking about is called an easement by prescription. Establishment of a prescriptive easement must contain the following requirements: use of property for a ten-year period; use must be adverse; use must be under claim of right and there must be notice to owner, notice being open, visible, continuous and uninterrupted. Auxier v. Holmes, 605 S.W.2d 804 (Mo.App. 1980).

So yes, they can establish an easement by prescription if they can prove the above. However, there are two things you should know:

1) This is not automatic. They cannot simply start using that lane. They have to file a lawsuit, go to court, and prove the elements described above by clear evidence before the Court renders a judgment allowing this - a process that can take months and be very expensive. Until/unless they do this, there is no easement; and

2) If they success, they would not own the lane, but can only use it for what they have been using it for before.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.