LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

If someone files a civil lawsuit against you molestation,

Customer Question

If someone files a civil lawsuit against you for child molestation, what does that mean? can that also be tried as a criminal lawsuit?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. A criminal lawsuit and a civil lawsuit are completely separate. In criminal proceedings, the burden of proof is much higher ( i.e. beyond a reasonable doubt) and if convicted, you could face prison time. However, a civil lawsuit, asks the court to order a remedy. In a situation like this, it is probably going to be monetary. The complaint which is served, would state the damages which the victim seeks at this time. They want money or some other type of relief. Even if the court finds in favor of the victim/plaintiff in the civil suit, it does not mean that a jury would find the defendant guilty or criminal charges would be filed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!