Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have currently been terminated from my company, a hotel

Customer Question

I have currently been terminated from my company, a hotel where i was the Wedding Specialist and Catering Sales Manager.
At several Weddings, i used my personal phone that the company has not paid for or has no access to, to take photos. I later posted some of these images on my own personal private facebook.account that is set to private.
The Social Media manager who was friends on my account, continued to steal photos from my personal facebook account, and used them to market and advertise for the hilton, and shared the posts as if they were her own photos.
i asked several times for her not to take photos from.my account, however she still did.
since i am no longer with the company, i wrote and formally asked for her to stop all use of my images as well as unfriended her.
The company is saying because i work there, the images are theirs???? And they can do with them what they will.
what are my options? Can they honestly continue to use images from.my personal account and equipmemt for their marketing?
I will be looking forward to your response.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

No, assuming that there was no contract or paperwork in place that gave them the rights to what you did then the copyright to photographs belongs to the photographer. That is the "presumption" on intellectual property like photographs.

You may want to visit with a local lawyer and have them send a cease and desist letter for you.