Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I would like to know if it's possible to subpoena my emails

Customer Question

I would like to know if it's possible to subpoena my emails that I deleted for a civil case to provide proof for a Rent & Possession case?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and thank you for requesting I provide you information in this regard

If you have a pending case in the courts, you can request a subpoena from the clerk of the court and then subpoena the deleted emails. They are never permanently deleted and your email provider should have them on a server. However, you cannot get a subpoena without having a pending matter in the court system.

So you can file your lawsuit, subpoena your records and if you find they do not provide the evidence you hoped for, or that the provider does not maintain old emails after a certain amount of time, you dismiss the case.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you