LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I'm 33 with 4 adult brothers. All of us as children were

Customer Question

I'm 33 with 4 adult brothers. All of us as children were routinely beatean and locked in small empty rooms with just our underwear for days at a time. Sometimes my father would make us stand in line and one by one slam us in the ground with a hard blow to the head. Is it too late to hold him accountable? It's left me psychology damage that has left me with a paralyzing fear if authority and inability to trust that has made sustainable employment an impossibility throughout my life. Is it too late to hold him accountable?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation growing up. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, under the most all-encompassing statute of limitation for child abuse in Nebraska, the statute of limitation ran as each of your turned age 23 based on the fact that you have provided. So, unless you have a sibling under 23, it is too late to have your father criminally prosecuted for the abuse.

Had there also been sexual abuse going on, that would be a different story, and for some violations of NE law concerning sexual abuse of a child, there is not statute of limitation.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug