ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

A California company is buying my company (not in

Customer Question

A California company is buying my company (not in california). I am asking the 2 principals of the California company to sign a personal guarantee with their spouses. They claim the spouses do not need to sign because California is a community property state. Is this correct?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

What they said is correct, in that you can enforce a judgment against the community and separate property of the borrowing spouse in a community property state even if the other spouse is not a signatory to that document. Now it's certainly a better practice to have their signatures as well, but it's not necessary.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Hello?