Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been approached by a man calling mself a Barrister,

Customer Question

I have been approached by a man calling himself a Barrister, in Accra. His name is***** says that he is acting for the heir in an inheritance matter. I cannot find his name in lists of "Barristers in 'good standing'.
I would be grateful if you could say that he is beknown to you and is to be trusted, because the whole thing smells like a scam to me.
I will fully appreciate it if you may not answer this question on professional grounds.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this question.

This is a well known scam, and if you have already looked at the list of members of the Ghana Bar in good standing and the Ghana Bar's website, you will see that only people on that list have the authority to practice law in Ghana. The fact that Henry David is not there is 100% proof that this is a fraud.

If you engage with the so-called barrister, he's going to ask for a series of up front fees. He will say they are for something that may sound reasonable to you, but he'd be lying all the same. An estate pays all of its own expenses, and it's only when it's gotten all of that out of the way that the remainder of the estate, if any, would get distributed to the heirs. Heirs never have to pay anything at all up front to collect an inheritance.

This scam comes in two variations. In one, you are in an online romantic relationship with a woman from Ghana who claims she has an inheritance -- usually bars of gold -- in some storage center in Ghana. As the love of her life, it falls to you to pay and pay and pay and pay and pay and pay and pay to get her legacy out of storage. All nonsense, but it will go on as long as your wire transfers keep coming and stop when you go broke or catch wise, whichever comes first.

The second scam is the "same surname inheritance scam," where a so called foreign barrister or lawyer contacts you out of the blue, generally by email, to tell you that a long lost relative of yours has died and that you are the heir to a fortune beyond your wildest imagination. Again, however, there's no legacy, no real lawyer, no fortune, and the only money you will ever see is your own when you kiss it goodbye.

Any time you get unsolicited contact from some person or business you've never dealt with that gives you news that is much too good to be true, it is a scam and you need to just ignore it. You haven't done that, unfortunately, which means that your name is ***** ***** end up on a list ensuring that you will be targeted for many other different types of scams. Scammers send these messages out daily by the thousands, and the only way they know that they have gotten read at all is if you're unwise enough to take the bait and respond. So be vigilant, because you'll face many other opportunities to lose your money as a result of engaging these folks in communication.

If you're in the US, which it appears you are, just cease conversation with the scammers and report the fraud to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov and hang onto your money!

Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/law/9aa0d-approached-man-calling-barrister.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.