Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm in the Financial stage of my divorce, I have

Customer Question

I'm in the Financial stage of my divorce, I have obtained a new attorney,he's been on the case for three months,he just received my file from my old attorney 45 days ago.in my file was missing basically everything(mostly financial data)it was a complete
mess!it even included files from other clients from my old attorney's law firm. Today we had court a status hearing,among many important issues that needed to be brought up to the judge,Setting trial date for financials was priority number one for my husband's
side and the judge.my attorney tried to explain that he is not prepared because he does not have the proper financial documents to properly represent me as a proper counsel should represent a client. He needs to subpoena mental institutions and companies that
my husband has worked for and currently owns and many thank accounts that my husband is in possession of an refuses to release 401(k), stocks and bonds,Holdings to companies, IRS tax returns dating back three years,an overseas account(The list goes on) Opposing
counsel squawked like a chicken and said the deadline was February...you missed the deadline so judge it's their fault it's on them we're ready to go to trial.The judge him and haw'd, And sided with the opposing counsel. Since my attorney is now and still
learning about the case and the judge has so many cases before her.and all this was done and judges chambers I was on able to tell both people what happened in February....2015! My attorney went to Italy. Upon his return from Italy he filed his second motion
to compelfor my husband to show his finances, and a week later he wrote a motion to withdraw as my counsel. So basically in the month of February I was without counsel. What should I do is there a way that my tourney can resurrect this and go back to the judge
with an emergency to stop this trial from happening so that I can get the most money from my husband beforemy attorney is forced to go into an emergency financial trial that he's clearly not prepared for? I'm attaching photos of how my file came and what a
disaster it was in my current lawyers office there are more of these photos but this gives you an idea of what a mess it was.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your attorney can file a motion to reconsider and put in writing all of the reasons he needs more time on the case and what your previous attorney did or did not do in this case that was the issue. This is all he can do is keep asking the judge for more time and in the meantime he needs to get all the subpoenas out to everywhere to try to get the information back as fast as possible. That is all he can do for right now.