Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm a plaintiff in a PI case. The defense is 100%

Customer Question

I'm a plaintiff in a PI case. The defense is 100% liable. My attorney wants to depose my girlfriend to talk about my injuries. I find it odd he wants to do this. It seems to me the defense should be the one to make this request. Does this make sense? Isn't
this risky given that there is more to lose than to gain.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not unusual at all actually. A court or defendant is not just going to take your word about your injuries. They will need corroboration from your doctor as to the extent of the injuries, but they will also need some corroboration as to how this injury has impacted your everyday life. It is for this reason that quite often a spouse or significant other who spends day in and day out with the plaintiff is deposed. They want to get on record how this injury has impacted your everyday life and activities.