Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I had a commercial case since 2011. I went on web side of

Customer Question

I had a commercial case since 2011. I went on web side of civil court and it shows that the case disposed. What is the meaning of this
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

You can't tell what happened to it from just the phrase that it has been "disposed". That could mean settled, dismissed, a verdict after a full trial, a summary judgment, the petition withdrawn, or some other method of disposal.

Usually what this means is that the court dismissed the case due to no action taken by the parties but the attorneys and/or parties would have been notified before this happened and had a chance to respond.

The next step for you to take would be to go to the clerk of courts office and look at the actual file. There will be an order of some kind at the end of the file stating what action the court is taking and why. You can then work backwards through the content of the file to determine the exact way things happened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a 3 week trial, the judge asked for summation because she reserve the desicition asking from the attorneys to submit the summations. Know the civil court web shows the status of the case disposed.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

How long ago was the trial?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
01/24/2015 the last trial date, the summations was submitted on 07/01/2015
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the Judge issued the judgment and it just hasn't made its way to you yet. Under the updated facts you submitted that is the most likely explanation and the timing is about right.

You would need to contact your lawyer since there is a limited amount of time for an appeal after the judgment is signed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would you think the judgment was issued?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was my ex husband suing me after we settle in the divorce case
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If the clerk is correct and the case is "disposed" then that can only mean it is dismissed or the judgment was issued, regardless of the reason. Since there was a trial and summations were sent then the case wouldn't have been dismissed so the only other way it could have been "disposed" was to have a judgment issued.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cant be dismissed on the summations send by the attorneys? This what the judge was asking for?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

It's not likely it would be dismissed. If the judge went through a trial they would almost certainly issue a judgment rather than a dismissal for a number of reasons, including the fact that a dismissal is much easier to reverse on appeal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the judge want to stop the trial every day but my ex attorney announced that he have a right to continue the case till the end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry his attorney sad that he have a right to try his case to the end.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

The attorney was correct in that the judge shouldn't rule until the trial is completed because the evidence could change at any time.

However, even if the judge thinks the case should have been dismissed they will almost always issue a judgment rather than a dismissal because it is harder to reverse a judgment and no judge likes to be reversed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any way I can find from the web of the civil court if any judgments was issued?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You would have to check with that specific clerk and see if it is online. Most courts do not have their documents online yet.