LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

What type of lawyer should I use in small claims court? It

Customer Question

What type of lawyer should I use in small claims court? It is a financial matter?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

What type of financial matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both parties have a check with both their names on it. The defendant refuses to endorse the check unless they get 2/3 of the check.

Typically, in small claims court, parties represent themselves. However, if you wanted to retain counsel, you could. If both parties are entitled to half the money, then there should be no reason one party is demanding 2/3, without a basis to support it. This is a civil matter, so a civil litigation attorney would need to be hired. While it involves a check, it needs to be known why the party wants 2/3 and the basis they are using to claim it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!