Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

What should I do to help a friend that has been extorted

Customer Question

What should I do to help a friend that has been extorted continuously over 13 years. She is warn down, in the hospital, about to lose her professional license, just like the extortionists told her. I have e-mails of her's that have proof of threats and money $325,000.00 is mentioned they have extorted from her as well as jewelry. Who should I send this evidence to without naming the victim?
These people are scary and tend to carry out their threats.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Unfortunately, when you give in to blackmailers, this is what can happen. You give them the power to take over your whole life because they manipulate you with the fear of exposure. Your friend, as you know, should have never let it get this far. If she had reported it 13 years ago, they may have carried out their threat, or they may not have, because all they really wanted was your friend's money. But even had they carried out the threat, they could only do their damage once, and recovering from that and prosecuting these people would likely have been easier than her last 13 years.

Anyone can report a crime, and you can take the evidence right to the police or to the DA's office and explain the situation. BUT, unfortunately, you'd be expected to name the victim. How otherwise could the state prove the offense beyond a reasonable doubt? Additionally, a case may not go anywhere at all if your friend is not willing to cooperate in their prosecution.