Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

We are a 501c3 organization who's President just experience

Customer Question

We are a 501c3 organization who's President just experience the accidental death of her 22 year old son. We want to have our membership contribute funds to give to this mother and want to offer a match of these funds up to $500 from the organization's funds. Is this problematic for our tax status or in other ways that could hurt us?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

If this is a gift to an individual member, it could very well be in violation of 501(c)(3) regulations. Tax deductible contributions cannot be used to benefit individual members, officers or directors of the organization. It would be best to find a way to assist this person financially without involving the organization.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
HELLO AGAIN. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.