Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was sent a loan agreement from Fountain Finance Firm out

Customer Question

I was sent a loan agreement from Fountain Finance Firm out of the UK, I live in California. It says in the document that according to the Lending law Subsection 3, line 12, paragraph 17 that I will be charged $120 loan fee for a $5000 at 3%. Is there a certain law that e xsits, or is this a scam. His name is*****
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this question.

This is a scam if your loan company expects you to pay the $120 out of pocket. If they will it from the $5,000, then that's a different story. But it is unlawful to charge an up front fee, and asking for money out of pocket is the #1 sign of a loan scam. It is also illegal in the UK to charge an out of pocket up front fee.

Also, Companies House, the official government agency that keeps the annual tax filings and business records for every company in the UK has no record of any business called Fountain Finance Firm doing business in England. Do you have a website for this company, because the fact that there's no official record is another sign of a probable fraud.

Finally, to offer you a loan in California and do so lawfully, your loan company must be registered in your state to comply with Federal regulations. According to the California Secretary of State's register, they are not there, which means they are not doing business in your state.

Don't pay the money. If you do there will be more charges and you won't get a loan. If you have given out sensitive information such as bank and credit card account information or your social security number to qualify for this loan, take precautions against identity theft.