TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My ex-wifes boyfriend has threatened me through text that if

Customer Question

My ex-wifes boyfriend has threatened me through text that if i dont buy MY daughter (who lives with him) a brand new car by the time she has to return to college he will call his "friends at the IRS and by the time they are finished with me my small business and even my 86 year old mothers home will be boarded up for good". He does work on wall st. and may have connections. He said all i have to do is go sign a 200. per month lease on a kia or hundai and he wont do it. Isnt this extortion? By the way my child support payments are paid in full and ended in february 2015. I still pay $6000.00 per month to send my children to college. Needless to say at $1500.00 per week for college I have trouble keeping a car for myself. We live in suffolk county, new york. Can you give me advise on what i do now.
John F. Hodgkins (###) ###-####***-***-****
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Yes, what you describe is extortion.

The definition of extortion is based on the wrongdoer's obtaining property by instilling fear in the victim that if the property is not so delivered, the extortioner will cause or do certain things set forth in the statute.

The larceny statute requires obtaining "property;" this appears to be expansively interpreted with extortion, and includes obtaining a business relationship from another through intimidation. It may also include a forced loan or repayment of a debt. It may result from the enforcement of an otherwise valid contract.

Fear is an element of the crime of extortion. Fear of economic loss or harm satisfies the ingredient of fear necessary for the crime.

Criminal Law in New York § 11:27 (4th ed.)

I would take that text message to the police and file a police report. At the very least, the police can talk to the boyfriend and hopefully put a scare in him.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.