TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

A group of doctors in gh Point, NC have used the computers

Customer Question

Hello. A group of doctors in High Point, NC have used the computers at High Point Regional Hospital to look up clients information. I have never had an appointment with this group of doctors, yet they sent a letter to me, with my name, address, birthday and the fact that I needed a colonoscopy.(spelling ?) I have always used another group of GI doctors since 1979. It is a clear invasion of my privacy. I thought my information was private.
Thank you.
Kay
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It's possible that what you describe is a HIPAA violation. However, you should check the paperwork that you signed with the hospital in order to see whether or not you consented to being contacted by the doctors.

Assuming you did not consent, then you can complain to the Department of Health and Human Services, which investigates HIPAA violations. The hospital and doctors could face fines and penalties.

You can read about filing the complaint here: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.