ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My question deals with employment law. I live in Ohio

Customer Question

My question deals with employment law. I live in Ohio however the company I work for is in Kentucky. I’m an independent contractor working for a trucking company. I’m paid by the mile in which I pay my own taxes at years end. I’ve discovered that my employer has been holding $100 from my weekly settlement until I’ve accumulated $1,000 in which he calls escrow. In the event of an accident in which it is deemed my fault he takes the deductible out of this escrow. Upon my leaving his employment the escrow is add to my final settlement provided he finds no unusual damage to his truck. My concern is this: is it legal for him to hold onto this $1,000 which he calls escrow. This amount is included in the 1099 he gives me at the end of year although I haven’t actually received it. There’s no interest being paid on this amount which is another concern I have. To me it seems He has use of my earned income in which pays nothing for. Is this escrow account legal?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I assume that there's no written contract that would give him the contractual right to do this, correct?