Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

If you have a contract from a previous company that you

Customer Question

If you have a contract from a previous company that you worked for, can you change it for your own business. Changeing wording company name logo etc to be legal thx
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Copyright protection extends to all works that are "original" and "fixed" in a tangible form of expression. Traditionally, most people think only works like music, art or books can be copyrighted. But legally speaking, contracts can be subject to copyright protection too. So if you use the existing contract word-by-word without their permission, you could be violating the law.

That doesn't mean you can't use their contract as a base for your own. If you take someone's contract and tweak it so that it's "yours" using your own creativity, you could escape copyright liability.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?