Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

About a year and a half ago My fiancée and I bought a car.

Customer Question

My name is***** a year and a half ago My fiancée and I bought a car. The car is completely in my name (she made the down payment and 70% of the payments). We were going to get married and she needed a dependable car for the kids. Unfortunately, the relationship didn't work and she left with the 4 children. I let her keep the car. She was supposed to get a loan and pay it off and I would then gift it to her. She has not been able to secure a lone and now, she is saying because of medical bills, 2 months behind on payments and ruining my credit. What is my legal recourse.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am going to assume that there was nothing in writing between the two of you in regards ***** ***** refinancing into her name.

As such, someone in your situation wants to file a petition in court to "partition" the ownership. This would be a lawsuit. Then, the Court decides how to split the ownership and whom to give the vehicle to, and who is to pay what, and that this person has to refinance in an x amount of time or lose the vehicle, and finally, whether or not she has to indemnify you for the loss and credit damage she has caused.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.