Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Under the Railroad Labor Act what, if any, are the limits

Customer Question

Under the Railroad Labor Act what, if any, are the limits that a salaried employee working in a swithching yard can be asked to work? My son-in-law has just been asked to work 13 hours per day for 5 days per week?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under the RLA there are no limits for hours worked for switching yard employees. Under the Adamson Act, the courts have held that the basic eight-hour day may be varied by union contract or individual agreement, if there is no union on the property for the craft involved. Thus, I am afraid that the only limits would be under any contract he has with his employer.