Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

What questions should I ask a criminal defenses attorney

Customer Question

What questions should I ask a criminal defenses attorney before I hire him?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

Basically, you need to know that he's had experience with they type of case your husband has been arrested for. You want to know:

How long he's been practicing criminal law and whether he's handled similar types of cases to your husband's. If you think the case is likely to be a trial case, you'll want to ask if he's tried similar cases and how many of them. If you think it's likely to end with a plea, you want to know what the typical deal is for this type of a case and what the best deal possible is likely to be.

You want to ask the lawyer his or her sense of the case, once he hears about it, what the possible options will be to resolve it, how long you can expect the case to last before it's resolved. You want to ask him if he is going to communicate with his client and keep him up to date with the progress of the case. If he's in a law firm, you may want to ask him if he'll be handling the case personally and if not why not/who will. And, of course you want to ask him or her about his rates.

You can tell a lot about the lawyer by the way in which he answers the questions. You'll get a sense of his personality and whether your husband will feel comfortable talking to and working with him. If his answers aren't very forthcoming, if he lacks patience or doesn't explain things well, you'll see all of this when he talks to you. So it's not just what he says that's important, it's the way he says it.

There has to be a good personality fit between a lawyer and his client because they have to both be on the same page with regard to the case. If they are not, a lawyer may not be the right one, even if his trial stats are the best in the county.