Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can a bank account be set up to show that it is community

Customer Question

Can a bank account be set up to show that it is community property even though it shows that there is only one person as the account holders. For example can there be a beneficiary set up. My step mother has closed all my dads seperate accounts without
going to probate, and we want to know if this is illegal. She and my half sister know all the bank information and left me the step daughter in the blind.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Bank accounts can be in joint tenancy, meaning two names are ***** ***** account. However, bank accounts can also name a beneficiary or have a Payable on Death designation, which would mean upon death of the account owner, the beneficiary or POD designee gets the account without going through any probate. Other than those means, the accounts are supposed to go through probate if only your father's name were on them.