Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Are list back contracts legal in

Customer Question

Are list back contracts legal in washington
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could be the issues for a licensed agent
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

What do you mean by a "list back" contract? This term has several meanings. And, do you mean real estate agent, or a licensed agent for something else?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A licensed agent has a client that wants to do a list back. Do not fully understand what a list back is and the issues that could be for the agent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pertaining to real estate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Licensed real estate agent
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Again, list back contract is a term that has more than one meaning. Please, tell me what you mean in this situation, specifically? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is why I am asking you. I do not know either. Just need to know what a list beck contract is for in real estate.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Ah, okay, I think I understand. A list back contract requires the current buyer of a listed property to relist the property with the same agent when the buyer decides to sell the property.

Such list-back agreements have been held as ​unconscionable under the law multiple times. Some jurisdictions (not WA) has held them to be illegal. So I am afraid that such a contract (or at least its list back clause) may be voided by WA Court.

The WA State Licensing authorities may also bring administrative sanctions against an agent who does this. So this is NOT recommended.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.