Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My son lives in Nevada and we live in Texas. He tried to

Customer Question

my son lives in Nevada and we live in Texas. He tried to start a business there and it failed. He has given our phone number to a collection agency and they are calling us to try to collect from us that he owes. They keep calling us trying to collect. We cant afford to to pay his bills. Can they continue to harass us for this. They keep calling everyday. We are senior citizens in our seventies.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You have absolutely no liability for your son's debts. And, you can put a stop to their harassment of you. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine. Also let them know that should they file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against them for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fine under the Federal Act and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!