ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can a college test on material not presented? I'm in

Customer Question

Can a college test on material not presented? I'm in Chamberlain College of Nursing. There a subsiderary of "Devry University." They routinely test on material not yet studied; are there any laws regarding this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm located in Michigan. The school is in Troy, Michigan.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Legally speaking there's no law against them doing this. It certainly does reflect poorly on the institution, and could be a breach of contract (depending on the terms of the contract itself, what it says that it will do, what it will teach, etc...) and an argument could be made that they're not teaching the relevant material (if what they're testing on is the material that they're supposed to be teaching). It could also be a basis for a complaint to the accrediting agency (this institution is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC, www.hlcommission.org)). You can file a complaint here: http://www.hlcommission.org/HLC-Institutions/complaints.html. Furthermore, you might have a consumer complaint that you can file with the state attorney general (http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17331---,00.html). Aside from that, and aside from any contractual claim that you would have given the specific language of the contract that you entered into with this institution, there would not be a case for any breach of a law (as there is none) for failure to teach things that are on the test.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I had to step away. Can you tell me what the accreditation laws are for Michigan. Chamberlain is accreditted

Michigan doesn't accredit schools. Accrediting agencies do. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC, www.hlcommission.org) is the agency that accredited this school. Each agency has their own standards. Here are their standards: http://www.hlcommission.org/Criteria-Eligibility-and-Candidacy/criteria-and-core-components.html

Again, My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!