Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Since a U.S. Protective order is not acknowledged in the

Customer Question

Since a U.S. Protective order is not acknowledged in the United Kingdom, would the person listed on it be breaking a U.S. law if they saw the person listed on the protective order while both in the UK
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes, provided that the person restrained KNEW of the restraining order and has actively decided to disregard it.

However, the problem herein is that enforcement of a restraining order abroad is very problematic. If the person restrained was back in USA later, they may be held in contempt/arrested depending on the jurisdiction and facts. However if both parties are in the UK, then this is an obtuse process where the party that has the restraining order may wish to attempt to (a) "domesticate" the restraining order in the UK, or at least (b) get an equivalent of this in the UK.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.