Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My bankruptcy was discharged in 2011... How do I have this

Customer Question

My bankruptcy was discharged in 2011...
How do I have this information removed, so that my colleagues and students do not see it when they look up my name?
Thank you...
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am very sorry to have to tell you this, but a bankruptcy filing is considered a public record and is not able to be sealed or expunged like some criminal charges are. So unfortunately, it would stay as a public record indefinitely although it would drop off any credit report after 10 years under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks