Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

IS CHARGING A FEE NON- BODY MASSAGE ILLEGAL IN NY STATE?

Customer Question

IS CHARGING A FEE FOR A NON-SEXUAL BODY MASSAGE ILLEGAL IN NY STATE?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Massage therapy is considered a state regulated profession so the unfortunate answer to the question is yes. Pursuant to Education Law §§ 6512(1) and (2), it is an "E" felony, punishable by up to four years in state prison for (1) an unlicensed person to practice or offer to practice any profession in which a license is required. In the alternative, it is also and "E" felony to knowingly aid or abet three or more unlicensed persons to practice without a license. If the person providing the massage is doing so as a business, then they should be licensed as a massage therapist under NY law, but it isn't up to the customer to make sure that the person is properly licensed.

.

.

thanks