Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I deposited a third party check legitimate issued by my

Customer Question

I deposited a third party check legitimate issued by my employer. Even though the check cleared their (my employer's bank) the next day, two days later my bank placed a debit hold. How will they verify this check if it has already cleared the issuing bank?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The bank is going to verify the funds with the issuer, even if it clears a bank, the bank may check on third party checks to make sure the issuer of the check has funds to cover the check. This is pursuant to bank policy and they are not supposed to hold it more than 5-7 business days for the funds to completely clear into your account.