Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My Mother lives in assisted living and qualified Elderly

Customer Question

My Mother lives in assisted living and qualified for MA Elderly waiver. A new company took over the facility and didn't bill properly for rent for 10 months. My mother continued to spend money she didn't have. I inquired about the billing and was told to pay what we were billed. I did as well as other expenses. Now they are demanding the entire amount be paid. What are my mother's rights that she wasn't billed properly for 10 months because the company didn't have their system in place?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your first thing is to seek to go back to the social services office about the MA waiver and you need to present them with the bills because if she qualified they should also take care of the adjusted bill from the facility. You need to do this because if the facility can prove their billing was an accounting mistake and that the new billing is correct, your mother is going to be liable for those bills, even though they initially made a mistake. It is up to the facility to prove they are now correct and it was an accounting mistake and if they do your mother or the government assistance program is going to be legally liable.