Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband and I have been married years. In all this time

Customer Question

My husband and I have been married for 18 years. In all this time he has never added my name to any of our financial accounts. He can withdraw from these accounts at his own discretion, and I have no access to these accounts at all. Is this legal?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

From a purely legal perspective, there wouldn't be anything illegal about this, although it is very unusual for one spouse to maintain complete control over the accounts and not allow the other spouse access. You would have rights to withdraw funds if you were a signatory on the bank account, even if you aren't listed as an owner of the account.

.

But also, if the money was contributed during the marriage, then it would be considered marital funds regardless of whether your name is ***** ***** accounts or not. That means that if a divorce were to occur, those funds would be divided between the two of you.

.

.

thanks