Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I recently employed the services of Outbrain. Here's their

Customer Question

I recently employed the services of Outbrain. Here's their website.
http://www.outbrain.com/
They help a publisher like me with a blog on politics and economics reach more readers on places like CNN, NY Times, Fox News, MSN, The Guardian, etc.
They did a pretty good job but it was very expensive. But that's fine. I had employed them since early June. In that time I've spent $10,000 on their services.
I don't have a problem with that. But what I do have a problem with is how they recently disabled my account without warning or appeal.
The trouble was I had been using Revenue Hits to monetize my blog. It turns out that RH employed some rather aggressive tactics to get clicks-like a pop-up that opened a new tab.
So yesterday out of the blue Outbrain says that I've been infecting readers with a virus-which is not true, though I agree RH was aggressive.
So I told them that I apologize for that. I didn't realize RH was that bad but I would remove it from my website. I did this but Outbrain didn't respond to my requests for reconsidering as I'd dropped RH which was the problem.
I feel this is very unfair as I had no warning or right to appeal.
Now I know the next question is the law. So that's my question for you-do I have any case or can they just do what they want to do-no warning, no appeal, no chance to explain just 'You're out of here.'
I don't know what the law says on this exactly but I feel the Internet is a real Dark Continent for law. Website companies like OB and Google Adsense just do what they feel like.
I had at one time monetized my blog with Adsense but they dropped me without warning too. Then it turned out that they were doing this to lots of publishers just when they owed them a few dollars.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/adsense-leak-controversy-heats-up-as-google-denies-favoritism-theft-allegations/
So is there no law in the Internet arena? I'm hoping you as a big shot lawyer have some good news for me-LOL.
Not just 'Sorry guy, that's how it works in the big city, goodbye.'
If you need my email here it is.
***@******.***
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you were using RH and that is what caused you issues with Outbrain, then your issue is with RH as well. First, you need to look at your OB contract to determine what right they had to cancel over the alleged "virus," since they ware supposed to (absent a contract clause to the contrary) give you a right to cure the problem, which you did.

Next, you do have recourse and that recourse would be to sue OB and also RH for your damages and losses in court and seek a court judgment against both of them for the money their cancellation caused you to suffer. So that is your option here as these companies do not operate on the internet with immunity.