LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I just got taken off SSI because I had an escrow check in my

Customer Question

I just got taken off SSI because I had an escrow check in my .bank.....this check has gone to pay off my debts. I Am single and disabled. I am currently living with a lady who wants1/2 rent ,cable plus I have to pay gas and food. I only make $652.00 a month. SSI wants me to pay back $1880.00.....what do I do? I
am so stupid.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
You suffered an overpayment because you took SSI benefits when you had assets above the limit.
If you have spent down the money already paying off your debts and again have less than $2000 in assets, then you will re-qualify for SSI again and they will agree to take 10% of your monthly SSI benefit and put that toward your overpayment until it is paid off.
If you cannot afford for the full 10% to be taken, you may ask social security to withhold a lesser amount.
Just contact SSI and they will make the arrangements to take the overpayment back a little at a time.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doug.....I didn't know what to do and I listened to the wrong people.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
In follow up, here is a link to an article put out by Social Security about overpayments and how you can deal with them. Again, you can ask that they collect the overpayment a little each month out of your SSI payment and they will agree to do that.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10098.pdf
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.
Please remember to rate my service to you.
I wish you well
Doug