Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

If my father in law has dementia(alzhiemers), in the state

Customer Question

If my father in law has dementia(alzhiemers), in the state of Colorado, can he still drive if hev has cognitive impairment?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
There is not specific law in Colorado that will take away the driver's license, unless there is a report from a physician concerning seizures, heart attacks, strokes.
The law in CO does mandate anyone over the age of 61 to renew their driver's license in person every 5 years, as opposed to those under age 61 who only have to renew every 10 years without testing.
I suggest that as long as your Father is able to make it into the DMV personally and fill out the renewal forms accurately, that he will be able to drive
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.