Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Divorced x 15 years. Ex Wife occupies our home. The mortgage

Customer Question

Divorced x 15 years. Ex Wife occupies our home. The mortgage is in my name. I pay the bills. Ex wife recently arrested for operating meth lab in the home. She has a criminal drug history (possession), on probation. Looking for answers on minimum/maximum sentencing. And I have been notified by the city that Hazzardous clean up, and or demolition will be charged to me. Am I obligated legally for that expense?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Manufacturing a controlled substance in your state can be a Class A felony which can carry up to a life sentence. The amount of methamphetamine found in the home would determine the minimum sentence. But the lowest mandatory minimum is three years of prison. Here's the methamphetamine statute in your state:
"(11) Any person who knowingly sells, manufactures, delivers, or brings into this state, or who is knowingly in actual or constructive possession of, 28 grams or more of methamphetamine or any mixture containing methamphetamine, its salts, optical isomers, or salt of its optical isomers thereof, is guilty of a felony, which felony shall be known as "trafficking in methamphetamine." If the quantity involved:
a. Is 28 grams or more but less than 500 grams, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of three calendar years and to pay a fine of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).
b. Is 500 grams or more, but less than one kilo, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five calendar years and to pay a fine of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
c. Is one kilo but less than 10 kilos, then the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 15 calendar years and to pay a fine of two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000).
d. Is 10 kilos or more, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory term of imprisonment of life without parole."
The hazardous waste issue is a real estate law question, and you'd need to post that question separately where a lawyer who deals with property and its laws could tell you that. As you are the homeowner, however, my instinct is that you could be properly assessed for that.