N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

Idiopathic Hypersomnia (IH) is a very rare, & frequently

Customer Question

Idiopathic Hypersomnia (IH) is a very rare, & frequently very disabling, condition. Simply, those of us with it feel the need to sleep 24/7/365, as if we're being given a big dose of a sleeping pill constantly. ADHD stimulant medications are most often prescribed to help keep us awake but we still suffer a whole host of other effects, such as still requiring excessive amounts of sleep time (10-13 hrs), "sleep drunkenness" when we do wake up (where the brain isn't fully awake - it can last 45 to 90 minutes after I've gotten out of bed - thus we stumble around & have the cognitive abilities of someone who might otherwise be fairly drunk), just waking up to get out of bed takes an act of God because normal things like alarm clocks don't work for us, & there are also a variety of impaired cognitive functions that we then deal with once we are finally "awake" and supposedly "alert." Would this be a condition that might be considered for SSDI with a good chance of it being awarded?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
The answer is Yes, Social Security does consider this to be a disability, under the name of narcolepsy, see
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0424580005#title-bar
To win a total disability claim, you will need a doctor's note stating that you have a specific condition that makes it impossible for you to engage in gainful employment.
You can get a free consultation from some of the social security lawyers listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/social-security-disability/West-Virginia
Please follow up on this with a local attorney. Almost all disability claims filed by individuals are denied the first time and it would be prudent to have an attorney assist you with this.
I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Regarding "gainful employment" - having achieved a certain education level (2 Bachelor's degrees) and worked in professional positions associated with those degree's for most of the time since I obtained them 20 years ago, could Social Security decide I could instead take some different type of job that's below that education level (e.g., a minimum wage job as a secretary)? This would, of course, be in a situation where they didn't agree with all the reasons for my entire inability to work.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.
If the hypersomnia prevents you from working as a teacher, I don't see how you can be expected to work in some other field.
If a doctor says in writing that you disabled, I cannot second guess the doctor, and I don't see how Social Security can either.
Please follow up on this with a local attorney.