Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I paid on a parking ticket through my bank account with the

Customer Question

I paid on a parking ticket through my bank account with the Philadelphia Parking Authority. They told me I didn't have enough to be on a payment plan; however I could pay over how much I wanted ad long as I had a checking account. So, I made a payment of $35 on the $116 ticket. Today I received a letter in the mail stating that they tried to take the $81 out of my account; which I dint have for starters. Secondly, I didn't give permission for them to extract anymore money from my account. On top of that they charged me $20 for return check fee and I got charged from my bank $25 for insufficient funds! Do I have I case?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a Pennsylvania Attorney with a practice in both Philadelphia and Delaware Counties. Unfortunately, I know all too well how the Philadelphia Parking Authority works. First of all, one cannot depend on the word of anyone at the Parking Authority. If any installment payment Agreement is entered into with the Philadelphia Parking Authority, it would have to be in writing in order to be enforceable, or in your situation, it still would have to be in writing so that you can sue them to recover all extra fees that were imposed on you as a result of their not adhering to the verbal agreement you made with them. So, the short Answr to your question is, Yes, you have a case. But, the more important question is, Will you win such a case. The Answer to that question is no, simply because the Parking Authority would get so many continuances of the hearing that you would be eaten up in Attorneys' fees.

The only way that you would be able to recover any fees imposed on you as a result of the Parking Authority's not adhering to the agreement you made with them would be to find a substantial number of people (at least 200 to 300 people) to which the Parking Authority subjected them to the same treatment they gave you and to bring a class action against the Philadelphia Parking Authority. Any attempts by one individual to go up against the Philadelphia Parking Authority would be an exercise in futility and any Attorney who tells you otherwise would be lying to you just to get a fee out of you, even though the Attorney knows that the fight would be a losing proposition from the very beginning.

_____________________________

If I have not Answerred your question, kindly let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

If I haqe Answered your question, please be kind enough to leave a positive rating. Since you have already made a deposit with JustAnswer, leaving a positive rating will not cost you anything additional

Positive Feedback and Bonus are very much appreciated,

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA