Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I started a business with my husband of 1 year. He has owned

Customer Question

I started a business with my husband of 1 year. He has owned his own, successful business for 10 years (HVAC) and makes about 100k per year. Before I met him and started the new business (a wine bar), I worked in middle management for a corporation for 15 years, and then in the wine industry as a marketing manager for another year - I made approximately $70k per year on my own. I left my career, took out a chunk of my retirement - $50k to start the new business. He invested more of his time and resources than cash through his contractor skills and his business resources. The bar has been open for approximately 1 year and it is an LLC with each of us owning 50%. I also work part-time at his company (1/2 days 4 days a week, doing the books and marketing for both companies) without pay. We fight a lot and he threatens divorce constantly. My question is would I be able to get 100% of the wine bar since it is my livelihood and the only reason I left secure full-time employment. Would he really get half if we divorced?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to helpwith your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

My question is would I be able to get 100% of the wine bar since it is my livelihood and the only reason I left secure full-time employment. Would he really get half if we divorced?

.

I find this highly unlikely since this is your sole source of income after leaving your previous employment. Although it would be considered a marital asset that is subject to division in a divorce, OR is an "equitable distribution" state which means that the judge will divide assets according to what he feels is fair. So if husband has another source of income in his business, then it is very likely that as part of the distribution of assets, you would receive the wine bar as part of any division.

.

.

thanks