Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I Recently become victim of scam "fraud" I was renting

Customer Question

I Recently become victim of scam "fraud "
I was renting apartment to two individuals they apere descent working people at first but shortly after stop paying rent and short time later I realize that the pay stubs they use to optain rental unit was fabricated name of the company address all was fake
On top of this on the day that they move out they have stolen all my furniture ( unit was rented furnished) now they are trying to get more money out of me by taking me to court claming that I have taken there belongings ...
I have found there address that they live before and they have pull same scam on there last landlord... What can I do to stop this people from destroying my life and life's of many other potential victims ? Please let me know
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Have you reported this to the police and asked that these people be prosecuted? If they knew that this is a pattern this couple have been engaging in, they should be interested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did notify police but they some how didn't think that this was there problem they say this is tenant and landlord board issue
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
I would argue that the theft of all of your furniture is certainly not a landlord/tenant board issue. You can try going over the heads of the police directly to the prosecutor's office and report the crime there. If you particularly push the theft of all of your furnishings, they may be willing to take it up.
Alternatively, of course, you could sue them in civil court.