LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am a CPA and have a US based business client that is owed

Customer Question

I am a CPA and have a US based business client that is owed money from a Canadian business any thoughts as to collection techniques or leverage
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your client's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
I sense that you are hoping that there is some sort of an expedited way of collecting money from a foreign customer, as opposed to one local to your client.
Unfortunately, there is no such panacea. The process is really no different, regardless of where the non-paying customer is located. When the customer will not pay your client money that is owed your client is left with little option but to sue the customer---in Canada, obtain a money judgment for breach of contract and then pursue collection in Canada against the customer.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your client's situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.
Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,
Doug